If you have problems with sleep, probably you have heard of medication with melatonin supplements. It is a hormone that is produced in the pineal gland. It is an effective natural sleep treatment. But its advantages are not just defined to night times.
Actually, melatonin has numerous significant other medical advantages beyond sleep. It is a strong antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory hormone particle that can assist with further improvement of brain health, eye health, gut health, heart health, fertility, and so on. Let’s have a look at the benefits of melatonin. And some tips to increase the level of melatonin naturally.
- Melatonin is a hormone
- derived from tryptophan(amino acid) and serotonin(neurotransmitter).
- produced in the pineal gland naturally
- smaller quantities are made by the stomach.
Melatonin is a basic for keeping up with your body’s circadian pattern, so you feel alert and stimulated in the mornings, and tired in the evening. That is the reason you have more elevated levels of melatonin in the blood around evening time, and these levels radically go down in the first part of the day.
Significant functions of melatonin(Benefits):-
- Powerful antioxidant property
- Immunity booster
- Protects the mitochondria of cells and inhibits cell destruction
- Reduces inflammation
- Regulates sleep & circadian rhythm
- Assists in brain regeneration(neuroplasticity)
- Controls blood-brain barrier
- Helps in stroke recovery
- Decrease the risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Helps in treating Parkinson’s disease
- Mitigates Epilepsy syndrome
- Improves sleeping quality
- Reduce anxiety, depression
- Improves eye function
- Boosts brain function
- Protects the stomach
- Reduces hair loss
Melatonin levels decline normally with age, which is the reason it becomes tougher to sleep soundly and rest for a 60-year-old person. A few studies show that melatonin can be given in the anticipation and therapy of specific cancers, similar to breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer treatment.
Your body produces Melatonin naturally. So any additional dose should be taken carefully. Too much intake of this hormone can disrupt your sleeping schedule and cause other harmful issues.
There is no official dosage is prescribed. So, you need to take the minimal possible dosage. Which can be effective for you.
All you have to consider is your weight, height, stature, and melatonin sensitivity to your body.
Safe Dosage(amount) of Melatonin to Take
Your body produces melatonin around evening time and deliveries it into your blood circulatory system to assist you with falling asleep. This cycle proceeds for the duration of the night as you continue sleeping.
In the morning, the melatonin levels decrease in your body. This allows you to wake up.
If your body does not release melatonin normally or releases an insufficient amount, you can start to intake safe dosages to improve your condition. Many people nowadays find themselves waking up in the middle of the night. It is the result of falling melatonin production in the middle of the night.
The safest amount of melatonin is that, which is enough to assist you with your sound sleep with no side effects.
“0.2 to 5 mg” are the most secure quantity, to begin with. The lower, the better and you will be prompted by a clinical expert to adjust melatonin dose by weight.
Impacts of Overdose
An excess intake of any synthetic or chemical substance can affect negatively one’s body. Similarly, intaking too much melatonin can cause problems that can be hard to solve and terminate your sleeping process.
- Taking an overdose of melatonin can ultimately dull your hormone level. If you start to intake melatonin for long periods you will ultimately become desensitized to it. That would constrain you to take a bigger amount to have an impact that is unadvisable.
- 0.3 mg of melatonin requires four hours to leave the blood circulatory system. If you have expanded melatonin levels in your blood circulation system, your body can be confused by this hormone and can let you feel sleepy and sluggish during the daytime.
- Over dosages can also make people have hallucinations and daydream.
Time of Taking Melatonin
- Avoid drinking alcohol or caffeine with the melatonin dose. These substances can associate with melatonin and interrupt the hormone’s function by making it ineffective.
- Make sure to talk to your physician when you are planning to begin taking melatonin. In case you are experiencing dullness, depression or pregnancy, you have to be very careful. In such a case, stay away from the collision of several medications or supplements.
- If you can realize that melatonin isn’t assisting you with further progress of your sleep pattern, then stop intaking it.
- People experiencing bleeding problems should not try melatonin intake as it can stimulate bleeding disorders. As well as people with seizure disorders have to stop intaking this kind of hormonal medication.
As melatonin in your blood circulation system can help you in falling asleep effectively, an excessive amount of melatonin can cause you to feel drowsy and sluggish during the daytime also. Try not to take an overdose and stick to a little, safe quantity only after consulting a specialist.